We are concerned about the violence in Israel/Palestine because the US provides billions of dollars annually in aid to Israel, and because this area is considered sacred to Muslims, Christians, and Jews.
We are appalled by the thousands killed in the latest violence in Gaza, most of them civilians and children, as well as by massive destruction of homes, mosques, schools and hospitals. We equally grieve the deaths suffered in Israel from Hamas rockets.314 signatures
We, the undersigned, support Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace's call to end the cycle of violence in Israel/Palestine and the Middle East. We grieve over the death and destruction caused by endless wars, and are convinced that military force is not the answer. We therefore call on the US government to:
- End the arms trade to the Middle East since US weaponry fuels violence and supports authoritarian governments.
- Cease bombing in Syria and Iraq and cease providing military aid to militant groups.
- Provide instead massive humanitarian efforts (implemented mainly by civilians, not by the military) to rebuild Gaza, Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas ravaged by US military interventions.
- Engage in diplomacy and negotiation with all parties in these conflicts
- Support a UN investigation of alleged war crimes committed during the recent conflict in Israel/Palestine.
- Demand that Israel immediately end its blockade and siege of Gaza.
- Demand Hamas end its violence and dismantle its offensive arsenal.
We feel that resolving the conflict in Israel/Palestine is an important step towards resolving conflicts throughout the Middle East.